Independent Visa

Home / Australia

Get a Free Assesment

Independent Visa – Subclass 189

There is a three-stage process in applying for Skilled Migration to Australia.

Firstly you need to be on the Skills Shortage List. Australia needs people who have a skill. The Australian government issued a Skills Occupation List with various types of occupations and skills. The aspirant needs to be on this list to apply for Skilled Migration. Click hereto fill out the free assessment form and we will advise you.

Secondly you will need to score sufficient points in the Points Assessment

Points are calculated on the following:

  • Age
  • Work experience
  • Trade or occupation
  • English language abilities
  • You can score additional points if you have close relatives living in Australia
  • If you have studied or worked in Australia previously.
  • You also get points if you are sponsored by a state that needs people with your skills.

We will then lodge an application for your Skills Assessment

Skills assessments are based on your post-secondary educational background and work experience. Every occupation on the Skills Occupation List is assessed by the relevant Assessing Bodies. Once you have a positive skills assessment we will then move on to the next stage.

Occupation under SOL can be found here:

Click here

After we have determined that you do qualify for immigration we need to log your Expression of Interest (EOI)

Under Australia's Skilled Migration program, you are required to log an Expression of Interest (EOI). This places you in a pool to be invited to apply for a visa. The time it will take for your EOI to be accepted can vary between 4 months to 18 months. Zephyr Visa will update you throughout the entire process.

This is a permanent residence visa. As a permanent resident you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely. This visa also allows you to travel and enter Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted. The expiry of this visa does not affect your permanent resident status if you are in Australia. However, if you want to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident after the initial visa has expired, you must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Your eligibility for an RRV will depend on the period that you have resided in Australia.

Points Test
This visa has a points test designed to select visa applicants who have the skills and attributes that will help them find suitable employment in an occupation that matches their skills and is required in Australia.

The following can be considered as dependents:

  • Partner
  • A dependent child of you or your partner
  • A dependent relative of you or your partner.
  • Secondary applicants must meet all of the following requirements:

English Language Ability (IELTS, TOEFL iBT and PTE Academic tests are accepted)



Australian Values Statement

Note: TOEFL iBT and PTE Academic tests would be accepted from applicants from November 2014

Australian permanent residents can:

  • Live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • Study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
  • Access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • Be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • Sponsor people for permanent residence.